Orlando, FL asked in Probate for Puerto Rico

Q: What is the procedure when widowed dad passes away and owned a home in P.R. He also had POA's for me & my two siblings

My dad had Power of Attorneys for me and my two siblings when my mom passed away. I contacted his attorney But i feel that he is only working with my sibling whose not relating no information to me. I am considering contracting my own attorney. Also my dad gifted a check in a large amount before he passed and my siblings have an issue. The bank was not able to verify check because father did not update his signature with the bank. Also my dad did not have a POD in his account in P.R.?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Naomi Jusino
Naomi Jusino
  • Ponce, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Dear Reader,

In Puerto Rico, once a person passes away, the heirs has to inform if the person had a Will. If not, they will need to start the process of Declaration of Heirs so they can take any decision with the estate left.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.