Easley, SC asked in Family Law for South Carolina

Q: My husband drinks everyday and is very mentally abusive. We have a 16,10, and 7 year old kids. How do i make him leave.

He tries to manipulate the kids to think bad about me. I've asked him to leave because I can't afford to move but he can. The kids get scared when he starts hollering at me and cussing. Its very unhealthy for everyone, but he want leave.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cheryl Ann Truesdale
Cheryl Ann Truesdale
  • Greenville, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: You can file for an Order of Protection through the family court in your county. The Order of Protection forms can be obtained from the clerk of court's office at family court and the court can provide the contact information for a couple of agencies that can help you fill out the form. An Order of Protection can provide the following relief for six months to a year: removing your husband from the home, custody of the children to you, child support from him and a restraining order against him harassing, threatening or harming you and from coming around your home. Because an Order of Protection has a finite lifespan, you will need to retain a lawyer and file for divorce within that lifespan to continue the protections of the Order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.