Mantua, NJ asked in Patents (Intellectual Property) for Pennsylvania

Q: Recourse for original inventor excluded from patent application. I contest right of ownership.

My colleague and I were responsible for 100% of the technical data and research for patent application and were inexplicably excluded by other colleague when he refiled secretly. We never assigned our rights and wish to contest right of ownership.

Can you advise me who we should contact at the USPTO?

Thank you!

2 Lawyer Answers
Darrin A. Auito
Darrin A. Auito

A: I recommend contacting a patent attorney. Good luck!

Kevin E. Flynn
Kevin E. Flynn
  • Patents Lawyer
  • Pittsboro, NC

A: 35 U.S.C. § 256 Correction of named inventor


Whenever through error a person is named in an issued patent as the inventor, or through error an inventor is not named in an issued patent, the Director may, on application of all the parties and assignees, with proof of the facts and such other requirements as may be imposed, issue a certificate correcting such error.

(b)Patent Valid if Error Corrected.—

The error of omitting inventors or naming persons who are not inventors shall not invalidate the patent in which such error occurred if it can be corrected as provided in this section. The court before which such matter is called in question may order correction of the patent on notice and hearing of all parties concerned and the Director shall issue a certificate accordingly.

Thus by going to court, you can force the list of inventors to be corrected by the court and then the court orders the patent office to fix the record.

There are other routes to correct the list of inventors while the inventors are pending, but I believe that would require the assistance of the currently named inventor and assignee. Depending on the facts, you may be able to file the application in your own name as this is the exception to the first to file rule when the second party takes your invention and files it under the second party's name.

One way or the other, you will need the help of an experienced patent attorney.

I hope this helps.

Kevin E Flynn

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.