Chula Vista, CA asked in Criminal Law for Arizona

Q: My 17 year old was carjacked by knife point in Phoenix Arizona, what will happen next?

My son was parked on the side of the road and he was in his backseat changing for work when a man entered his driver door and proceeded to drive off with my son and his car.My son asked him what he was doing and tried to fight the man from the back seat and the man pulled out a knife and was trying to stab my son while the car was moving, my son grabbed his cell phone and then got all the way out of the car while moving and called the police. I would just like to know if the man is arrested what will his charges be and will we be notified if he is arrested?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Josephine Pesaresi Hallam
Josephine Pesaresi Hallam
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Your son is a victim and is protected under the victim bill of rights of Arizona. This means that the prosecutor will contact him if an arrest is made, with all court dates, regarding any type of plea or if the case is going to trial.

He will be assigned a victims advocate through the prosecutors office. You should be receiving a letter in the mail with the information about it.

If the person who carjacked him has not been arrested yet, they’re probably still in the investigation stage. You can call the police department who took your police report and follow up on the status of the case.

You can also hire an attorney, who will help guide you through the case as a victim. However the prosecutors office provides a victims advocate for free.

So I would advise, number one: contact the police department and check on the status of the investigation, number two: contact the Maricopa county victims advocates unit and see if you’ve been appointed a victims advocate yet. I hope that helps. Best of luck. Josephine Hallam

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.