Gretna, LA asked in Business Formation for Louisiana

Q: I formed an LLC in Louisiana, but I'm planning to drop the LLC for the business. Do I need to file a DBA with the state?

After forming the LLC, I was planning on forming a DBA to drop the LLC from the business name. Example of that "Bob Building LLC" as the corporate name and "Bob Building" as the business name. However, when I go to apply for a DBA under "Bob Building", the state of Louisiana won't let me form a DBA under it because it conflicts with my LLC name. Do i still need to form a DBA to do business under this name?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
D. Alex Onstott
D. Alex Onstott
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Depending on your usage need, you are generally allowed to use the registered business name with or without the "LLC," without filing a DBA. The DBA is typically used when a substantially different name is used in commerce than the business's legal name, or when an entity, typically banks or the government, require the name used on their paperwork to match the name used in commerce. If you are running into an issue with the latter, you can file an amendment to your current registration changing the name of your business to include "d/b/a NAME" or simply to the same name without "LLC". Whichever method you choose, you should clear it with the entity requiring the DBA to ensure that they are okay with your proposed solution.

As usual, the particular facts of your case may or may not allow that type of fix, and you should contact an attorney to get personalized advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.