Camden, NJ asked in Employment Law for New Jersey

Q: I hurt myself outside of work and need to go on 'light duty' for two weeks at my doctor's orders. Can my employer

legally refuse this request?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Christopher J. Eibeler
Christopher J. Eibeler
  • Holmdel, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: An employer must engage in an interactive process with an employee who is in need of a reasonable accommodation because of a disabilty. This requires both the employee and the employer to act in good faith, share information with each other and openly communicate. If an employer can show that the employees request and/or other potential accommodations would constitute an undue burden on their business operations, they may be able to deny the request. Whether the requested accommodation is reasonable is a fact specific inquiry and therefore it is highly recommended that you consult with an experience employment attorney who can provide you with legal advice and consultation based upon the specifics of your circumstances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.