Elmhurst, IL asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Illinois

Q: Hello, I work for Great Wolf Lodge in Gurnee. They just opened, and I want to know if I can sue? And need help doing so.

Hello, I work for Great Wolf Lodge in Gurnee, IL. It just opened&I hate it. I am scheduled 9am-5pm, due to lower occupancies in the hotel they've been wanting us to clock out immediately. I am a housekeeper, we get about 2-5 rooms to clean, so I only get about 20 something hours a week. They've been taking time out of my clock; basically going in & changing my clock out times to earlier times. They also threaten us of stealing time, and threaten to write us up, which can result in earned points and termination. An employee has threatened me, about a month or 2 ago&still works there. Can i sue? Another employee, and I have recently began protesting, started yesterday, and they will begin nit-picking to fire us.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ethan White
Ethan White
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Oak Brook, IL

A: Keep in mind that Illinois is an "at will" employment jurisdiction, meaning your employer can fire you for any reason or no reason at all, unless it is for an illegal reason, such as your age, race, religion, etc. But that means they likely could legally fire you for complaining about your treatment regarding hours, clocking out, etc. That said, if you are working hours and they are not paying you for those hours, you may have a claim under the Illinois Wage Payment and Collections Act, under other laws. Good luck!

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.