Shreveport, LA asked in Immigration Law for Louisiana

Q: F1 Visa has been revoked under strange circumstances. What do I do next?

I am a college student out in the US on an F1 visa, I've never been in trouble with the police before now although I have a pending court case regarding possession of marijuana charge in the state of Iowa (I was caught with a few grams whilst driving through) although I have plead not guilty and the court case is still ongoing... I received an email a few days ago from the US embassy saying that 'Under Departmemt of State regulation CFR 41.222 my visa has been revoked.

How has my visa been revoked when there has been no verdict reached? Is it related to this court case? I was wanting to go home and visit my family at Christmas but now if I was to do that i wouldn't be allowed back in to the country... just looking for some advice as to what steps I should take next in order to fix this.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: The pending case in enough for the government to revoke your visa. That in and of itself should not impact you—a visa only allows you to enter another country—unless you leave the US for any reason. Then you would need to apply for another visa to come back.

If you are convicted of the charges, that’s another story. You could be deported based on that.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.