Jersey City, NJ asked in Immigration Law for New Jersey

Q: I am a US citizen you receives government assistance can an immediate family member file for an affidavit of support?

I tried filling for my spouse before but he was denied because he had a record at 21 yrs old of possession of marijuana. The embassy denied him and told him that he have to wait 7 to 10 years before he can file again so the time has passed and I want to file again. I'm currently receiving government assistance and not working and we have 2 children together. Can my sister file an affidavit of support for him on my behalf in order for him to receive green card to come to America to work. Thank you so much in advance for your advice

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Ferrell Jr
Paul Ferrell Jr
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Voorhees, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You should file an I864 and ,provided she can document that she herself is solvent, your sister can file a supplemental affidavit to yours.Good luck to all of you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.