Rocklin, CA asked in DUI / DWI for California

Q: If I received a DUI in CA with an NC license about 13 years ago, paid the fines but never too the classes and closed It

Am moving back to NC, will I be able to get a license in NC in some way?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Karas
John Karas
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Temecula, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Unlikely. North Carolina participates in an Interstate Compact in which states share driver's license information including DUI's and suspended licenses. Not having completed the DUI classes in California resulted in your license having been suspended by the issuing state's DMV but you are also in VOP (Violation of Probation) on the DUI conviction in California.

Your best course of action is to hire an experienced criminal defense lawyer to assist you with getting the VOP resolved and then getting your license status reinstated here in California. Otherwise, every time you get behind the wheel, you're at risk of being arrested, having your car impounded and spending a minimum of 10 days in jail if you are pulled over for any reason.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.