Blairstown, NJ asked in Gov & Administrative Law for New Jersey

Q: My water service is not listed as regulated by the BPU. I am in the tears and they want 65% ($2000) by Monday or they

Are gonna shut my water off. I tried to tell them I don't have $2000 and offered the standard 25% by Monday plus a monthly payment to catch up and they said no. What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Aimee Hess
Aimee Hess

A: I'm not sure what the BPU is. In Texas, if it is a rural water company, ask to see a copy of the company's tariff. The tariff will set out how they handle payments of deficiencies. If you disagree with the procedure, you can file a complaint with the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality or the Public Utilities Commission, who regulate water companies in Texas. In addition, you can appear at the water company's monthly board meeting to explain the situation and request a payment plan.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.