Salt Lake City, UT asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Utah

Q: I need to get a separation and don’t know where to start? Worried about income differences?

My husband has anger issues, pornographery issues w/cross dressing. Is it possible for me to file for a legal separation and somehow demand that he complete therapy before having overnight visits with our kids? Also, since I make more money, do I have to pay him?

1 Lawyer Answer
T. J. Jesky
T. J. Jesky

A: Generally speaking, those who choose legal separation instead of divorce is usually based on religious beliefs, a desire to keep the family together legally for the sake of children, or the need for one spouse to keep the health insurance benefits that would be lost with a divorce.

A separation is not the same as a divorce. With a separation, you’re still legally married until you obtain a judgment of divorce from a court. Generally a separation does affect the financial responsibilities between you and your spouse before the divorce is final.

Let me suggest you find a good Family Law Attorney in your area, to help guide you and/or take you Court to obtain a legal separation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.