Arlington, VA asked in Education Law for Virginia

Q: If I have reason to believe the education standards at my son's school aren't up to par, what do I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jay Braddock Jackson
Jay Braddock Jackson
  • Education Law Lawyer
  • Fredericksburg, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: That's a broad question, as "education standards" are generally measured by achievement. Is it a public school or private? Where, in your opinion, does the education fail? I would recommend that you make special note of the reasons that you feel that the school is failing, determine whether the failure is systemic or a single teacher, etc. If it is a public school (in Arlington?), you can contact Pat Murphy, Ed.D., Superintendent of Arlington Public Schools. 1426 N. Quincy Street, Arlington, Virginia 22207. Telephone: (703) 228-6010, Fax: (703) 228-6188 Email: . You may also find information from the Virginia Department of Education at James Monroe Building, 101 N. 14th Street, Richmond, VA 23219. There are several departments where you might find help. The main webpage is

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.