Norman, OK asked in Divorce for Oklahoma

Q: My boyfriend left his marriage 11 years ago. How can he file for divorce?

He left due to her alcoholism and abuse, he made an attempt to send her last known address the papers for the divorce with no response after 3 months, and he is honestly very nervous about having any actual contact with her. How can he file for divorce without her and is the 6 months living alone after the divorce still required after all this time? We've been together for 18 months. There are no children, and he wants nothing from her except the marriage finalization.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gary Johnston Dean
Gary Johnston Dean
  • Pryor, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: He must serve her with notice of filing of the divorce. If he knows where she is, it would be best to hire a private process server to serve her. If he can't locate her, she can be served with notice by publication, and should get a lawyer to help make sure it's done right. You can continue to live together after he is divorced, but can't get married for 6 months. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.