Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Colorado

Q: What action should I take when my child father has violated a court order to see my child?

Me and the father of my child had a MOA and the father violated the agree by not letting me have overnights and failed to give me and update contact information.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

John Hyland Barrett III

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You can file a motion to enforce the court order and for make-up parenting time. You should retain an attorney to help you with this.

Scott D. Goldman

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Denver, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Assuming you mean MOU and not MOA, the ultimate question is whether that MOU was made an order of the court, meaning the Judge or Magistrate signed off on it.

From there, the specific language of your MOU will control and per 14-10-129.5,CRS, there is a whole host of remedies available to you, potentially.

It would be prudent to review your MOU with an attorney and any other court orders, along with more facts here, in order to determine if your MOU is specific enough to file a Motion to Enforce or determine a different path to potentially accomplish your goals.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.