Denver, CO asked in Criminal Law for Colorado

Q: My son is 18. He recently got a ticket for trespassing. He has no clue what he has done wrong. Can I represent him

He was standing on what he thought was a public sidewalk. It was late at night. An officer pulled up, gave him a ticket with notice to appear in court. He was too afraid to tell me so he went alone to court. The ticket was for trespassing. He knows better than to question a LEO. He appeared and the judge said he could go to pre-trial or 6 months in jail. He opted for pre-trial. He finally had the guts to tell me what was going on. I was able to explain to him his infraction. He understands now. But, can I go with him to court and explain this to a judge without being in contempt? because it angers me that my son was with a LEO and also in front of a judge that could not explain this to him and ask him to explain himself in order to get to the bottom line. I am not a lawyer, I only have a bachelors degree in Justice Admin.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL

A: I do not know about Colorado, but I know Florida, and believe the following is true in every state.

Unless you are a lawyer, you cannot represent anyone else. Also, in Florida, unless it is in small claims court, you cannot represent your own corporation.

Is the failure to understand the fault of the judge or the LEO or the fault of your son because of an incapability to understand?

Best of Fortune

John Kenneth Joyner agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

John Kenneth Joyner
John Kenneth Joyner
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You need to get your son a lawyer. It sounds like you both need some clear guidance on what the state is accusing your son of doing and how to best proceed. You should apply for a public defender today, and if you dont qualify ask for the low/slow pay list if you have limited funds.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.