Baltimore, MD asked in Child Support, Civil Litigation, Divorce and Family Law for Maryland

Q: Question on if a divorce agreement can be changed 4 years later


My question is, due to the emotional and physical abuse to the woman at the time, is it possible to go back and ask for a change to a divorce settlement bc the woman at the time was not of the right mind to carefully examine and understand her options and rights under the law?


Married 12 years. Over that timeframe, there are records of her calling the police on her husband for physical abuse, such as hitting her, dragging her around the house and throwing lit cigarettes at her. He also raped her several times. He had a child w another woman while they were seperated for less than a year. It became so bad for her, she needed to get out, and was desperate to do whatever she could to just get away from him. He is in the military but they would not help. She suffers from severe anxiety as a result, the verbal abuse continues w her and the children. Does she have a case to ask for a change including back alimony?

Thank you, she is at her wit end

1 Lawyer Answer
Elizabeth Pugliese
Elizabeth Pugliese
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Unfortunately no. Once a divorce is final, you cannot go back and ask for alimony or any property division. Only custody and child support are modifiable.

If everyone has been following the agreement for four years and receiving the benefits of it, the court is not going to throw it out -- short of proving fraud at the time of creation. Not being in the right emotional state is not fraud.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.