Goose Creek, SC asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for South Carolina

Q: I have kids with my ex bf we were never married. He sees the kids whenever he wants too. Can I file for child support?

My ex has threatened to take my kids away. He has a police record and was admitted to the hospital for trying to committed suicide. He lives with his parents. I'm a good mother in the medical field and I have my own place. Does he have any rights? I consider myself as the legal guardian(full custody) I told him I will like to take the kids on a family trip with my bf to Disney. He said he would call the cops because I was leaving out of state. Does he have any rights to do that? We were never married but he's on the kids birth certificate too. I will like to put him on child support but he thinks he shouldn't have to pay since the kids spend a night at his parents house on the weekends. What should I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Cheryl Ann Truesdale
Cheryl Ann Truesdale
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Greenville, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: Putting someone's name on a birth certificate only raises a rebuttable presumption that the person named is the biological parent. For a child born out of wedlock, the mother's paternity is accepted since she gave birth to the child, but the father's paternity has to be established in a court proceeding. Until then, the father has no legal rights. His paternity can be established in a child support case, but you will not be granted legal custody if all you're seeking is child support. You should file for legal custody and as part of that case ask for an award of child support. You can also ask for a defined schedule of visitation for the father so that you aren't always having to negotiate with him. You should consult with a lawyer in your area to get help with his.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.