Lafayette, IN asked in Divorce for Indiana

Q: How do I know if I can afford to divorce my husband?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William J Webster
William J Webster
  • Westfield, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: In regard to legal fees, if there is a disparity in income, an attorney can petition the Court for your spouse to pay all or part of your legal fees. Further, if there are assets that will be sold or assets you will acquire in the divorce, some attorneys will be willing to wait till the divorce is final and assets are available for legal fees. If the above does not apply to you, then there are organizations that provide free or reduce rate legal fees. Indiana Legal Services is a great resource with respect to finding such programs.

If your questions is whether you can survive on your own post divorce that is a personal question only you can answer.

Again if there is a disparity in income, you may be entitled to more that 50% of the marital estate. If certain conditions are met, you may qualify for spousal maintenance or if you have children then the Indiana Child Support Guidelines and Indiana online child support calculator will give you a general idea of what to expect in regard to a weekly child support obligation from your spouse.

I would need to know more about your case and the nature of your questions to give you a better answer. If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact our office at 317-565-1818.


Whether you can afford to divorce your spous

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.