Houston, TX asked in Divorce for Texas

Q: What is the process for divorce in Texas? What if you have divorce papers but your spouse refuses to sign them?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert W. Leonard Jr.
Robert W. Leonard Jr.
  • Fort Worth, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If you have lived in Texas for 90 days and in your county for 6 months, you can file for divorce in your county. Once you file, you will have to serve the other party or obtain a waiver of service from the other party.

After 60 days has passed you can enter the final decree of divorce signed by both parties or you can set the matter for trial if the parties are not in agreement.

Although Texas has forms to assist in doing a divorce pro se, if it is contested, it is better to have an attorney represent you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.