Winter Springs, FL asked in Patents (Intellectual Property) for Maryland

Q: William Holub, inventor of patent # 5681475, passed away 10 years ago. Can his widow receive compensation.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin E. Flynn
Kevin E. Flynn
  • Patents Lawyer
  • Pittsboro, NC

A: There is not a process for the United States Patent Office to provide compensation to widows of patent inventors.

Patent US5681475 was filed back in 1995 and is listed as expired. So unless there was an agreement with an assignee of the patent to share money with the inventors that has not been fulfilled, I do not see a way of obtaining compensation.

Once can obtain the assignment document at but it is possible that any agreement to provide compensation was set forth in a company policy and not recited in the assignment document. Presumably the payments or a dispute should have started during the lifetime of the inventor.

I am sorry that the inventor died long before his spouse and am sorry that I do not have any good suggestions for compensation.

I hope the information I did provide is helpful in some small way.

Kevin E Flynn

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.