Englewood, FL asked in Family Law and Adoption for Alabama

Q: Petition for an adult adoption in Alabama? Child will be 18 and step parent would like to adopt and change last name.

Will be moving to Decatur, AL in December. Child will have just turned 18. Step dad (for 16 years) would like to adopt. Is this a possibly in AL? Any limitations? Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristine Jones
Kristine Jones
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Montgomery, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: A person is a minor until age 19 in Alabama. So it would not be an adult adoption. This sounds like it would be a familial adoption and as long as you and the minor have been living in the same house for 12 months, then you could file for adoption. You would need consent from both biological parents, or file to terminate the rights of whichever parent did not give consent. Adoption is largely a creature of statute. You are looking at 2-3+ court appearances to accomplish all this. I would contact a family law attorney in your area to help guide you through the long process. Best of luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.