Paterson, NJ asked in Sexual Harassment for New Jersey

Q: Am I able to file a claim against a retailer if I was just a customer and not an employee?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Yaskin
Richard Yaskin
  • Cherry Hill,, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You may be able to do so, especially if the retail establishment is considered a place of public accommodation, such as a shopping mall. The NJ Division on Civil Rights has a poster which states that victims of sexual harassment are protected:

"In public places - when you get or try to get most

types of goods or services, for example, from

shops, restaurants and entertainment places, banks,

lawyers, doctors, hospitals, etc."

You should promptly contact an experienced Discrimination and Harassment attorney, most of whom could handle your case even if, like me, they typically focus on the Employment arena. If you were to bring such a claim at the NJ Division on Civil Rights, you would face a 180 day filing deadline, and the NJ Law Against Discrimination contains a two year deadline for filing in New Jersey Superior Court.



Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.