Asked in Adoption and Child Custody for Alabama

Q: if parents have given up custodial rights to a distant family member but not parental rights can 1 get it back

and What acts affect this in Alabama and can grandparents still get visitation rights if not

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shane Michael Oncale
Shane Michael Oncale
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: Yes. If parental rights have not been terminated the parents can always come back and petition the court for a return of custody. It can be a long and difficult process but it is possible. Grandparents can get rights to visitation under a vary narrow set of circumstances exist and may be considered for placement over "distant family members" depending on the circumstance and the stage you are in the case. You should definitely seek the advice and counsel of someone experienced in Family and Juvenile Court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.