Hurlock, MD asked in Child Support for Maryland

Q: My sons father Quit his job the day I filed for child support 1month ago .Will he not have to pay? Court is November.

He claims he is still unemployed. I feel like he maybe getting paid under the table but I’m not 100 percent sure. What should i do ? He hasn’t helped financially in about a month but I see him out at clubs on soical media he also has 2 cars that he has to make payments on so he’s getting money some way

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elizabeth Pugliese
Elizabeth Pugliese
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: If he is physically and mentally capable of working the court will impute income to him for purposes of child support. He will owe it whether he is working or not. If he does not pay, his driver's license will be suspended.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.