Annapolis, MD asked in Child Support and Divorce for Maryland

Q: I want to file for divorce but they told me I need something from child support but I pay my ex myself.

When we split we agreed to a certain amount and I pay that. I am not sure what paper they are talking about because when I called child support they could not help me since they did not have me in their system. I am looking for answers so I can put this behind me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elizabeth Pugliese
Elizabeth Pugliese
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You need to attach what is called Child Support Guidelines that show the amount that Maryland thinks you should be paying. If you are paying less than that, you must provide a good reason (other than this is what we agreed) why you are paying less. If you are paying more than the guidelines amount, no need for an explanation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.