Warsaw, IN asked in Criminal Law and Animal / Dog Law for Indiana

Q: Neighbor shot my domesticated cat-says she was trying to get in his baby bunnies cage--Never came and told me this b4

She was a stray 4 years ago--and had kittens on that property which was abandoned at the time---she has always gone between my property and his but stayed in this general area--- I had domesticated her -she does not like to be penned up for long.. I had gotten her spade and 3 yrs rabies shot--and even got her broken tooth fixed..I am a responsible pet owner ---I told him when he moved in about her and that if she wandered on his property not to hurt her she was harmless--She was here to eat Sept 27 2018 around noon but was acting really scared--then she went running over on his property--I heard a gunshot and I haven't seen her since--He threw her in the weeds and by now there is no body--I had no idea if she was bothering them--He never came and talked to me about it--so I have no proof it was her getting his rabbits b4 he killed her--I would have penned her up again--I wanted the sheriff to see if he had any previous pet cruelty charges against him but they won't do anything

1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew L. Bennett
Andrew L. Bennett
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: If the police won't write up a report about the incident or investigate by talking to him, you should call the prosecutors office to see if they would do a citizen intake.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.