Citronelle, AL asked in Child Custody for Puerto Rico

Q: If a custody order has been determined by another state

Once another state has granted custody after Puerto Rico conceded jurisdiction can it be overturned in a Puerto Rico Court?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Good morning and thank you for using JUSTIA. A Puert Rico court cannot overturn a ruling made by a court from the other states . outside ofChild custody ruled by an out of jurisdiction court can not be overturned by a Puerto Rico court. The term "overturn" means to review the courts ruling and change said ruling due to an error or wrong ruling. It is an appeals process. Since the Puerto Rico courts only have jurisdiction in Puerto Rico, it cannot review a court ruling issued by a court from another state. Child custody is never permanent thus it can be changed if justifiable. In other words, a new custody process would be held and after evaluation the best person would be assigned custody.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.