Asked in DUI / DWI for Texas

Q: 74yo, dementia, DWI 9/18, no$ for lawyer - can we speak to the DA directly and work it out?

My dad doesn't qualify for indigent services - can we speak directly to the DA during our next court date? He had a very hard time getting around, too. Can I speak on his behalf? Should I call the DA's office myself and see what can be done? He's undiagnosed so we do not have medical records to back up his memory loss.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Grant St Julian III
Grant St Julian III
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If your father has dementia, make sure a competency hearing is performed before anything else. Bring documentation of his medical condition to court. Unless you have been designated as his guardian or are a licensed attorney, however, you will not be able to "represent" your father in this matter. Good luck.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.