Seattle, WA asked in Personal Injury and Products Liability for Washington

Q: My partner was diagnosed with leukemia after working with Benzene for 21 years. Why can't we find a lawyer?

Workers comp was approved, UW Center for Excellence Occupational Medicine determined Benzene contributed. Why is it so hard to find representation? A guy spills McDonalds coffee on his lap and it's a slam dunk, but LEUKEMIA??? No.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Products Liability Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: Good for you for looking.

Short answer: extremely expensive to prove in court, and the Supreme Court made it very difficult especially if the problem (leukemia) is something that can be caused by just .....being.

Second problem is the statute of limitations issue in your state.

Suggest you try Ciresi Conlin 612-361-8200

Before you call have handy a chronology--dates of exposure, locations, names of any products containing the benzene etc.

If they can't help you because of where you are ask if they know of any Washington attorneys that might handle that type of case.

Consider lobbying your legislature and your Congresspeople & Senators for laws protecting workers.

As you will need medical treatment, get a hold of a good Medicare counselor to help you find a Plan F or G that may be way cheaper than paying deductibles and copays.

good luck!

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.