Pequot Lakes, MN asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Minnesota

Q: The state put a danco on between my boyfriend and I, I want to get it dropped because we do have a child together

He did have a rule 20 done and they are committing him to a mental hospital, and I believe having our daughter and I in his life would help him. He's currently in jail facing charges that are false and made up.

1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas C Gallagher
Thomas C Gallagher
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: As far as trying to get the Judge to drop the no contact conditions and DANCO, with consistent effort you may be able to accomplish that. For a longer discussion of how, you may be interested in reading my blog article: How to Get Rid of a Domestic Abuse No Contact Order in Minnesota . If he was found mentally ill it's possible the criminal charge may be dismissed (i.e., misdemeanor) or postponed until he regain competence after treatment. It would make sense in that situation to be involved with the medical providers to the extent possible, even if you are unable to visit with him (without causing trouble for him) for the time being.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.