San Diego, CA asked in Military Law for California

Q: Can I get out of the Navy Reserves if I need to help out family more

Dear Justia, I've been wanting to join the Navy Reserve and I spoke with a Navy Recruiter. Initially, I thought it was a 3 year contract, but learned it's a 6 year contract in the Reserve. I work part-time in construction, and also help part-time with my family. Several years ago, I moved back home to help out my aging parents with the home and acreage, and I also help care for our 107 year old grandmother. Combined, it's a lot of work. Now, my father just suffered a massive stroke two weeks ago and will require a lot of care. I don't want to leave him, but I still would like to serve. I'm curious If I could separate from the military early if I need to help. Thank you for any advice.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Angelina Bradley
Angelina Bradley
  • Military Law Lawyer
  • Monterey Park, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Hello. Yes, you can ask for a hardship separation from the Naval Reserve. Depending on where you are in your contract, you can also request to be transferred to the IRR so your drilling requirement would be eliminated -- you'd just have an annual check-in (and you'd still be subject to recall to active duty).

Please feel free to reach out for a consult. I do this sort of work often, and I am also here in San Diego (don't let the number fool you): 323-487-1171.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.