Manchester, NH asked in Family Law and Child Custody for New Hampshire

Q: Do I have to respond to my daughters emails or texts demanding what we do with her son . If her visits were terminated

Her visits were terminated 1 1/2 years ago. I've had legal guardianship of him since he was 5 1/2 months he is almost 5. The only home he has ever known is with my husband and I

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Kelly Levasseur
Joseph Kelly Levasseur
  • Manchester, NH
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: You do not have to respond but it may depend on the written court decision for the guardianship. It may state in the decision what types of contact the mother can or cannot have. Read it carefully. Just keep in mind that generally speaking, courts prefer allowing some types of contact with the parents and a guardians attempt to to keep the alienated parent informed. Also keep in mind these texts and emails are great for putting into evidence so be very careful how you respond, always, if you choose to do so, very professionally, or have you attorney do so. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.