Philadelphia, PA asked in Bankruptcy for Pennsylvania

Q: Filling chapter 7 to discharge 70K debts as an international student. Please advice?

I am a PhD Student on F1-Visa status. I have debts of 70K (Credit cards 50 K, Personal loans - 9K and Car loan- 11k) over the period of 5 years credit history with SSN. I lost money in stock trading over 140K last 3 years. Currently , I don't have any job and doing my PhD. Please advise how to file a chapter 7? Will bankruptcy filing in VA state affect my future immigration status (Greencard etc)? Please advise . Thank you

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: You really need a competent bankruptcy lawyer to help you file. Filing should not affect your immigration status.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You may file without being a permanent resident. It could affect your chances of getting permanent residence if it is deemed to be due to "bad moral character," but if you can show you thought the stocks would pay off and why (keep any market reports/trend reports you used to invest) then it's not too likely they would view it that way. It's more if you run up debts and then bail on them.

It is worth your while to get a consultation with a member of the AILA or a Certified Immigration Sepcialist under the Pa. Court program for certification in specialties.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.