Coventry, CT asked in Probate and Estate Planning for Connecticut

Q: There are three biological children who are not named in the will but are needed to assign a PR in the State of Georgia,

None of the Biological children are heirs just a step-grandson what recourse do the biological children have? the will must be executed in GA the biological children live in CT

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew A. Wiley
Matthew A. Wiley
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • North Haven, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: This issue is quite complex. Your question does not provide enough information to fully answer it. Feel free to give my office a call and schedule a consultation and we can discuss this in more detail. 203.446.4725.

Reading between the lines. It sounds like someone died in GA and chose to disinherit their children. While I can not speak to Georgia law specifically in almost all states children are mandatory notice parties even if disinherited. Therefore you will have the opportunity to review the documents and confirm. That being said there are a lot of situations where assets can transfer outside of the will.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.