Midland, MI asked in Child Support for Michigan

Q: Can child support end, if minor child is charged/convicted as an adult?

In Michigan, child is 16-1/2, has been kicked out of high school for lack of attendance and has been in trouble with the law. He has been told by his PO, if he breaks the law again, there is a great chance that he will be charged as an adult do to criminal history & run-ins with the law.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Interesting question. If he were to be locked up on an adult charge, I would think at the very least, the Friend of the Court would need to weigh in as to whom and how much support is owed. It would not surprise me if both parents ended up sharing a child support obligation that would go directly to the state for reimbursement of his incarceration expenses. I'm sure a situation like this has come up before, but I've just never ran across it as an issue.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.