Downs, IL asked in Employment Law and Tax Law for Illinois

Q: I have an upcoming IRS appeal and I need to subpoena some documents /information from my employer. How do I best do it?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michelle D. Wynn
Michelle D. Wynn
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Melbourne, FL

A: Unfortunately, you cannot subpoena documents from an employer unless it is in connection with a court case that is already filed. Since I assume you are speaking of an administrative appeal with the IRS Office of Appeals, you would not be able to issue a subpoena. You can request the documents from your employer to see if they will provide them voluntarily. If not, then your best bet may be to try to prove the points you are raising using documentation already in your possession.

The IRS is able to issue subpoenas to request documents and information without needing to have a court case filed. However, it would depend on the Appeals Officer being able and willing to issue such a subpoena and in some circumstances they are not able or willing to do so.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.