Bedford Hills, NY asked in Admiralty / Maritime for New York

Q: My wife slipped on a wet deck recently on a cruise down to Mexico - how long would we have to file a lawsuit?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Michael A. Winkleman
Michael A. Winkleman
  • Maritime Law Lawyer
  • Miami, FL

A: I hope your wife is doing OK.

The answer to your question will depend on the fine print of your cruise ticket contract but with most major cruise lines: Carnival, Royal Caribbean, NCL, there is a 6 month notice requirement (which means you must give written notice within 6 months of the date of the incident), and a one year statute of limitations (which means any case must be filed within 1 year of the date of the incident.

Most importantly, this same fine print requires that any case be filed in Miami, Florida. This is a called a forum selection clause and they are enforceable. Feel free to contact me directly at as the entirety of our legal practice is devoted to helping cruise ship passengers and crewmembers recovery for injuries sustained while at sea.

Stephen Arnold Black and Tim Akpinar agree with this answer

Gordon Charles Webb
Gordon Charles Webb pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Maritime Law Lawyer
  • Seattle, WA

A: Read your cruise contract. Most have a one year statute of limitations with six month notice requirement. But again, READ YOUR PASSENGER TICKET.

Tim Akpinar and Stephen Arnold Black agree with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.