Los Angeles, CA asked in Child Support for California

Q: Can the noncustodial parent get in trouble for lyingabout not being the father just to get away for not paying Child su?

The noncustodial parent requested a DNA testing

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Angelina Bradley
Angelina Bradley
  • Monterey Park, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If the non-custodial parent made a statement under oath that he knew to be false, then yes, it is possible. But here, you have a paternity action, and he's asking you to prove he's the father prior to child support being ordered. That is not an unreasonable request. And, ultimately, the delaying tactic won't matter. Child support will be ordered retroactive to the date that the order requesting it was filed.

So, let's say you filed in August. He requested testing in October, you get results in December, and those results show that he is likely the father. The court would then order support going all the way back to August.

Good luck with your case.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.