Germantown, MD asked in Child Support for Maryland

Q: My daughter is 25 i just started making payments. Should the money continue to go to her mom or my daughter?

I didn’t make payments when she was younger but not that i have a good job they are taking the money. Her mother is now remarried and my daughter is on her own. Is there anyway i can have the papers switched so that my daughter receives the help instead?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Mark Oakley

  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: The mother was the parent supporting your daughter all those years that your arrearage was accruing. That money belongs to her, not your daughter, to repay some part of the costs she incurred to make up for your failure to pay. She is the one out of pocket all those years, not your daughter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.