Scarborough, ME asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for Maine

Q: Can I request a mediator in my eviction case at any time?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Fred Bopp III
Fred Bopp III
  • Arbitration & Mediation Lawyer
  • Yarmouth, ME
  • Licensed in Maine

A: Not at any time, no. Depending on what stage of the process your eviction case is at, your right to request a mediator may no longer be available. For more information, please go to this link:

Mediation is also available in eviction actions, which are called Forcible Entry and Detainer cases. A mediator may be at the courthouse when parties come to court on the day of the hearing, or mediation can be requested in advance. If you would like to request mediation, please contact the Clerk of Court to determine if a mediator will be present or can be arranged on the hearing date. Mediation will take place at the courthouse.

To find out more about mediation in eviction actions, see the brochure, Forcible Entry and Detainer (Eviction) Mediation (PDF) ( . Note: This document requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to view or print.

A: Without knowing more about this matter, you probably can request a mediation (many courts now offer mediation as a choice), but it will have to be set up by a mediator, and the Court usually picks the mediator. I assume you are in civil court, as I don't think small claims court offers a mediation. If their is a case no. assigned to your case, look up your case on the internet and find the Superior Court of the County you are in. Then, find the option that allows you to access your case, and pull it up. The papers in Superior Court usually have all of he documents in the Clerk's File. If you don't have a case no., you will not find your file. Your case number should be filed on the first page of documents that you received.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.