Gaithersburg, MD asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Maryland

Q: Can I file a complaint for custody and child support even if I was married at the time of conception and birth?

Nobody is listed as the father on the birth certificate. I didn’t file for “legal” separation. Husband lives out of state and no contact. Child is not my estranged husband’s baby.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You can always file to establish paternity, custody and child support against the biological father. It is possible to just file for child support by going to the Office of Child Support Enforcement in your county (or City of Baltimore), but you will need to have the name and current address of the father. That office can then transmit the case to the jurisdiction where the father lives to open a case there. These cross-state child support matters often involve the father being summonsed to appear at the local office here he lives, and he may contest paternity, and require a dna test. Alternatively, you can hire a lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.