Salt Lake City, UT asked in Immigration Law for Utah

Q: A Swedish national and I plan to marry and remain in our respective countries for two years. What paperwork do we need?

From what I have read online, it seems we are not allowed to simply visit each other on tourist status. Since we are neither immigrating right away, could you please provide guidance on visiting each other legally and especially on his upcoming visit to the USA for our wedding? Thank you!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: We can’t answer the question re: visiting your fiancé/spouse in Sweden; for your spouse to visit you here s/he must show a preponderance of evidence that she will return to Sweden after visiting you. She doesn’t need a visa to visa, since Sweden is a visa waiver country, but proof of employment, residence, family, assets, etc. Being married to a USC spouse carries a great deal of weight when determining if someone will remain in the US or not, so your fiancé/spouse will really want to have lots to put against that.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.