Phoenix, AZ asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Domestic Violence for Arizona

Q: Should I get a restraining order, request child support, or just go to court?

The father of my child and I are no longer together. He is not accepting that decision and barely supports his child. He helps pay for half of daycare each month but that's the only thing he helps with. I do not make him pay child support even though I am taking care of the major responsibilities. Lately, he has been lying more about what he will do for his son, what he will buy, but never happens (joining air force, getting a better job). He also has shown stalker behavior (showing up to my job unannounced, showing up to his visitations later than scheduled in order to meet me at my house at the same time I am back from work, tailgating me if we leave a local place separately, consistently harassing me about getting together, manipulation and emotional abuse. I do not feel my son is safe in his care, there have been situations where he has chewed plastic because he was not paying attention, he has fallen a few times, I would like him to take parenting classes but he won't.

1 Lawyer Answer
John R Gaertner Jr
John R Gaertner Jr
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: You should get a protective order (Order of Protection since you have a child with Father)and go to court to address the issues of Legal Decision Making, Parenting Time and Child Support. You are justified in your concerns for your safety given Father's disturbing behaviors. Unless you address his actions, his behaviors will likely continue to escalate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.