Manhattan Beach, CA asked in DUI / DWI for Virginia

Q: I was written up for underage drinking in Virginia and want to know what my options are if I plead guilty (first offense

I’m 18 years old and had an open container in public when a cop saw me put it under my jacket and throw it. He made me admit guilt and now I have to appear in court next week. He mentioned a first offender program, but if I don’t do that and just plead guilty, does it go on my record forever? Will it ruin my chances of getting a job just because of this one misdemeanor? I’m scared and don’t know what to do...please help with any advice.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Daniel P Leavitt
Daniel P Leavitt
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Midlothian, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: It's a criminal misdemeanor and you can't expunged those if you're found guilty. Even the first offender program would need to be discussed depending on the wording of the question on a background check. Get a good lawyer to help you they may be able to do better.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.