Cleveland, OH asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Immigration Law for Ohio

Q: conditional green card received 2 month back through marriage now filling divorce with a 4 month old baby

so i received my green card through marriage around 2 months back and we broke up now we have a four month old baby, so if i file for divorce what is the possible way i can still have the valid green card, and can i take the shared physical custody of the child and stay here or what is the best way to proceed to stay here with the baby

1 Lawyer Answer
Yanky Perelmuter
Yanky Perelmuter
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Overland Park, KS

A: You can file an I-751 with a waiver of the joint filing requirement. This will allow you to remove the conditions on your green card and receive Permanent Residency without conditions. Each case has specific issues that may arise in the process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.