Sacramento, CA asked in Securities Law for California

Q: My broker disappeared after I discovered fraudulent misrepresentations associated with my account. Who do I sue if I

don't know his current whereabouts?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Steve A. Buchwalter
Steve A. Buchwalter pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Securities Law Lawyer
  • Encino, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If there is wrongdoing, the brokerage firm he was associated with would be responsible.

Alex Schmidt
Alex Schmidt
  • Securities Law Lawyer
  • Cranford, NJ

A: You may be able to file a claim against the broker dealer your broker was employed with. If your broker worked at a licensed broker dealer then certain claims you have against the broker can also be leveled against the brokerage firm in a FINRA arbitration. The brokerage firm may be responsible to pay the damages or investment losses in your account caused by the fraudulent activity if a panel of arbitrators concludes that fraudulent misrepresentation did in fact occur. If your broker was operating under his own auspices as an independent registered investment advisor things can become more problematic. Much will depend on whether the advisor was acting as anyone's agent when committing the fraud in your investment account. If your broker was operating completely independent under his own auspices you can still sue your missing broker but recovery of your lost assets will depend on a number of factors. To provide the best response more information is needed concerning your broker.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.