Port Orchard, WA asked in Bankruptcy and Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: My commercial tenant filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Do they have to serve us notice?

I was informed by email that Chapter 11 had been filed by our commercial tenant, but they failed to give us any details as to where it was filed. Are they required to officially serve us? I want to get an attorney but don't know what jurisdiction.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Harlene Miller

  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Irvine, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Notice of a bankruptcy filing is usually not sent by email. What was the source of the notice and what did you receive? I suggest you find a bankruptcy attorney local to you to check the status of the case. Chapter 11 is a very different type of bankruptcy, so it will be important for you to find an experienced attorney in Chapter 11 to properly advise you. Some of us offer an initial half hour consultation at no charge. You do have rights in the case as a creditor. You need to monitor the case in order to protect those rights.

Theodore Allan Greene

  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You should be listed as a creditor and receive communication through the mail regarding the bankruptcy. It should be very easy to find out "where" the bankruptcy was filed. You should contact a local (to you) bankruptcy attorney and they should be able to figure it out.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.