Asked in Immigration Law for New Jersey

Q: Should my spouse correct wrong answers on her DS-260 Application after submission to the Consulate?

I am a US citizen currently working in India. I submitted an I-130 petition for my Indian wife at USCIS, New Delhi. My petition was approved and my case was referred to the US consulate in Mumbai for final processing. My wife submitted a DS-260 application online to the consulate. However she made a mistake on the form when she answered "Yes" to the question "Is your spouse immigrating to the US with you". Since we plan to travel together, she confused the word "immigrating" with the word "traveling" and answered "Yes" instead of "No".

She also made a similar mistake by answering "Yes" to the question "Is your child immigrating to the US with you". Since our child is already a US citizen, she should have answered "No" instead of "Yes", although the child will be traveling with us.

Since the DS-260 application has already been submitted to the consulate, please advise whether my wife should contact the consulate at this time or whether should should wait for the time of her interview.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Myron Morales
Myron Morales
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX

A: Have her submit a new DS-260 with the correct answers. Print out the barcode sheet and have her take it to the interview. She can explain the corrections at that time. You can also send an email to the Consulate asking for it to be forwarded to the IV Chief with the corrections explained.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.