Fremont, CA asked in Workers' Compensation for California

Q: How are supplemental job displacement benefits awarded?

I was terminated so my employer never offered any modified work. It’s been more than a year since the date of my injury. How can I qualify for this benefit?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Ronald Mahurin

  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • Point Arena, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: From the information you provided the question cannot be answered. However, generally the employer is required to provide the voucher within 25 calendar days from the issuance of the permanent partial disability award by the workers' compensation administrative law judge or the appeals board. Which means you need to have settled your case and have an order approving, or you did not return to work for the employer within 60 days of the termination of temporary disability benefits. You apparently returned to work, but we do not know the time line or how this relates to your PD or modified duty.

The statute of limitations for a voucher is one year. I suggest you call iLearn in San Francisco and ask for their voucher materials. If anyone knows about vouchers, it is iLearn.

Nancy J. Wallace

  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • Grand Terrace, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: How to get this voucher? Have the Primary Treating Physician on the insurer's MPN write that you've reached Maximum Medical IMprovement AND that you make not return to all pre-injury job duties due to permanent work restrictions... OR get the Panel QME to write that you have permanent work restrictions precluding you from ever returning to the job tasks you had in the position you held before being terminated. WHEN you agree on the amount of Permanent Disability with the insurer, the adjuster will issue the voucher (it's based on the amount of Permanent Disability, so if there is a dispute, the adjuster doesnt know whether to issue the $4000, $6000 or $8000 voucher, so there either needs to be an award by the judge setting the Permanent disability percentage or a signed agreement setting the PD percentage).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.